POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : invisable but reflecting : Re: invisable but reflecting Server Time
19 Aug 2024 16:12:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: invisable but reflecting
From: Chris Huff
Date: 15 Nov 2000 21:20:31
Message: <chrishuff-7846A8.21204515112000@news.povray.org>
In article <3a13385f$1@news.povray.org>, "Adam Roben" <yod### [at] homecom>
wrote:

> Now, I may be completely off-base on this, but it seems to me that
> there is a much simpler way to do this than using no_image, etc.  Put
> a dark-red sphere out of the camera's view.  Resize it so that it
> appears to be the same size as the marble and green spheres when
> looking from the mirror sphere's position.  Then reposition the
> dark-red sphere so that it appears to be inbetween the marble and
> green spheres.  Doesn't this seem possible?

Possible in some cases...but easier?!?
It will probably take a bit of trial and error to get right. It won't
work with some mirror surfaces or if you have a heavy normal, and it
will only work with the camera position you designed the scene with. And
if you have another mirror behind everything...and what about shadows?

The bounding method is fairly simple, works in nearly all cases, can be
set up without guesswork, and will not require redoing the scene every
time you move something. It will also work with oddball mirrors(torii,
CSG, multiple flat mirrors, etc.)

The no_image, no_reflection, etc. keywords are the simplest and easiest
solution...just add the keyword to the object and you get the intended
result. You can't get any simpler than that...

--
Christopher James Huff

<><