POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ancient Mariner Final : Re: Ancient Mariner Final Server Time
19 Aug 2024 22:13:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ancient Mariner Final
From: Chris Huff
Date: 15 Oct 2000 09:11:02
Message: <chrishuff-781A55.08134215102000@news.povray.org>
In article <39e972cd@news.povray.org>, "Mick Hazelgrove"
<mic### [at] mhazelgrovefsnetcouk> wrote:

> The figure gave much more trouble and it will have to stay as is:
> spotlights were horrible and served only to increase render time and
> light up the surroundings. I've tried double illuminate, increased
> ambience, reflection etc. but nothing really makes it more 3d, anyway
> I suspect it would be more or less a silhouette in the real world.

If you want to see him from this side, you will have to put a light on
this side...ambient will only flatten things out, I don't see how
reflection could help. In this image, he looks too bright, he stands
out. It looks like somone composited a cartoon character into a photo.
Try reducing the ambient and maybe giving his coat/cape a bit of
specular, and make it darker, almost black in areas but lighter in
others, like it just finished raining a bit, but not enough to really
soak him.(the wet areas would be dark and shiny)
And besides making the cape darker, make the shirtsleeves and pants more
of a dark blue-gray. From this angle, you may not be able to easily see
the difference, but it might make the image look better.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><