POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Portal Pigment - Portal pigment.jpeg (1/1) : Re: Portal Pigment - Portal pigment.jpeg (1/1) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 08:21:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Portal Pigment - Portal pigment.jpeg (1/1)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 22 Jan 2001 06:13:59
Message: <chrishuff-775E87.06150522012001@news.povray.org>
In article <3a6bf8c3@news.povray.org>, "Gail Shaw"
<gsh### [at] monotixcoza> wrote:

> Now that looks cool!!

Thanks.

> Will the pigment be usable in pigment maps?

It should be.

> functions?

No...it requires ray and intersection information, so you can't use it
in functions or media density. I don't think it would be very useful
function anyway...and I think the media sampling would leave
unacceptable artifacts, though it might be possible to do something in
that case.

> How fast/slow is it?

About as fast as transparent or reflective textures.

> Do you plan to remove the limitations re direct light coming through
> a portal?

Not currently...the only way I can think of to do that would be to
create a duplicate version of all light sources that is transformed to a
position that would make it appear on the far side of the portal, and
only accept direct rays that hit the portal object...and this would only
work for type 0 portals, and wouldn't be easy to implement. Of course,
maybe it only makes sense for type 0 portals...

--
Christopher James Huff

<><