POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : OpenGL support idea : Re: OpenGL support idea Server Time
1 Sep 2024 18:16:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OpenGL support idea
From: Chris Huff
Date: 15 Jan 2001 20:49:03
Message: <chrishuff-752B67.20502515012001@news.povray.org>
In article <3a63a683$1@news.povray.org>, "David C" <dav### [at] satnet>
wrote:

> I was originally thinking of just using opengl as a relatively
> superfast way to render animations exactly how povray does it so you
> can see how they look. I personally can't see many practical reasons
> you would need to move around in the world other than the camera
> defined in the pov file.

That should be easier to write and keep platform independant, too. And
more likely to get working right...
How do you plan on doing different camera types? As far as I know,
OpenGL only does perspective and orthographic projection. You might have
to issue a warning when another type is used and use perspective
projection in those cases...that shouldn't be a problem for quick
preview renders.

Practical reasons: it could make it easier to get camera position/angle
and general lighting right, but it really would be the job of a
third-party modeller.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><