POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Bug in glow calculation? : Re: Bug in glow calculation? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 22:18:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug in glow calculation?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 18 Oct 2000 09:44:58
Message: <chrishuff-741D96.08474418102000@news.povray.org>
In article <39E### [at] freefr>, Nicolas Calimet
<pov### [at] freefr> wrote:

> 	But Warp mentionned that the result is wrong also when the transparent
> object is *behind* the glow, and that's true. He was right when he
> said that it might be a problem of ray length (my guess).

If it shows up even when size(which is buggy) and fade_power(which is
unrealistic) are not used, then there is a problem with those
calculations...and I don't fully understand what the equations do or are
supposed to do yet.

> 	In the Do_Glow code, the scattering depends both on the last
> intersection found (Ray->Initial) and the next one (through Depth). I
> would expect the glow to depend mostly on the Frame.Camera->Location
> which distance is constant to the glow, and not from Ray->Initial
> that may change due to transparent objects. But replacing that is not
> enough, Depth should be corrected also. Yet I didn't find how. I also
> wonder how refraction would work...

If the calculations are changed to depend on the camera location instead
of the ray starting location, reflected and refracted glows will not
work at all.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><