POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 3D snowflakes : Re: 3D snowflakes Server Time
14 Aug 2024 09:24:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3D snowflakes
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 4 Nov 2002 14:43:12
Message: <chrishuff-73425F.14344904112002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <slr### [at] zeroppsorguk>,
 Steve <ste### [at] zeroppsuklinuxnet> wrote:

> Also to make a realistic snowball or snowman the flakes would have to
> be crushed and squashed, a snowflake probably only looks like that while
> it's in the air falling towards the ground, I'm sure it'll get bashed in
> when it hits the ground or at least have some edges knocked off.

Don't you get snow? It sounds like you've never had a close look at it...
Snow that's been compressed or has been in a pile for a while doesn't
have flakes like these, it gets more granular, especially if it is close
to the freezing/melting point (which also seems to cause the largest
flakes/crystals). Individual flakes often land and get buried without
much damage though, you can find flakes in a handful of fresh fallen
snow that look intact as far as the unaided eye can tell.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/