POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Material{} in mesh2 ? : Re: Material{} in mesh2 ? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 18:13:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Material{} in mesh2 ?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 22 Dec 2000 10:05:28
Message: <chrishuff-7125D7.10063822122000@news.povray.org>
In article <3A4325E1.CF03007C@inapg.inra.fr>, Gilles Tran
<tra### [at] inapginrafr> wrote:

> In fact it's quite logical, but a heavy mesh2 user like me was
> confused by the fact that the mesh2 syntax is rather strict when it
> comes to textures.

Well, some more information: the "interior" statements fill the interior
of an object, and generally don't work properly with objects that aren't
closed(because of clipping or meshes that have "holes"). If individual
triangles in a mesh had their own interior, and assuming a simple mesh
like a sphere, with at most two intersections, it would hit a triangle
on the front then continue to one on the back, and the interior would be
everything on the line segment between the two intersection points.
Which interior would it use? The front one? The back one? Something
halfway in between? The average result of computing both interiors? How
would it handle ior differences? Etc...
It probably wouldn't be a difficult feature to code, it just needs to be
defined better.

> Nothing to "fix" then, though something about this could be added in
> the 3.5 documentation about mesh2.

Probably a good idea...

--
Christopher James Huff