POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Material Test : Re: Material Test Server Time
16 Aug 2024 10:28:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Material Test
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 14 Feb 2002 12:11:46
Message: <chrishuff-7031BA.12112714022002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c6b3927@news.povray.org>, "Kevin Loney" <klo### [at] pt2mcom>
wrote:

> Just trying to get a remotly realistic wood and water texture. I plan on
> adding some ripples to the bottom of the post where it touches the water.
>
> comments? suggestions?

For the water: use a completely transparent texture (rgbf 1), and let
absorbing media (or fade_color) and reflections do the coloration...this
is the technique I use for nearly any transparent colored material.
Probably most important: use fresnel variable reflection. Don't forget
the ior, of course, you will find some useful iors in consts.inc. There
are many possible ways to do the actual ripples, a simple isosurface
will be most realistic but relatively slow, or you could use a cylinder
with a normal, or a height field clipped with a cylinder.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/