POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Mesh2 uv_vectors problem : Re: Mesh2 uv_vectors problem Server Time
2 Sep 2024 00:16:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh2 uv_vectors problem
From: Chris Huff
Date: 14 Jan 2001 17:48:51
Message: <chrishuff-7006B7.17501314012001@news.povray.org>
In article <3a6227e7@news.povray.org>, "Rune" <run### [at] inamecom>
wrote:

> > D) Write a macro that declares a texture (transformed to fit)
> > and then uses it in a triangle. This *should* work...in fact,
> > I think it has been done.
>
> Now I'm completely confused.

#macro UVTri(PointA, PointB, PointC, UVA, UVB, UVC, Texture)
    #local Tex = texture {Texture ...put your UV mapping transformations
here...}
    triangle {PointA, PointB, PointC texture {Tex}}
#end

> Maybe you've misunderstood me. Coding the POV-script that does the
> UV-mapping is not the problem at all. I've already done that, and it
> works.
> The problem is the amount of memory required: One unique texture for
> every single triangle.

You said the problem was that you couldn't use an ordinary mesh...not
that the number of textures used up too much memory. You implied that
you did it using a union of triangles instead of a mesh, and that that
was the problem...
If you simply can't handle that number of textures, then the only
solution is to wait for the UV mapping to be fixed to allow 3D vectors,
or do figure out a way to do something similar with 2D vectors.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><