POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Function image type mirrored vertically : Re: Function image type mirrored vertically Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:23:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Function image type mirrored vertically
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 10 Apr 2002 22:45:32
Message: <chrishuff-6F5B10.22471710042002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3cb35700$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Rune" <run### [at] mobilixnetdk> wrote:

> I think the behavior is wrong and if it isn't fixed before the final release
> of POV-Ray 3.5, then we will be stuck with this annoyance forever to ensure
> backwards compatibility.

I agree. POV should make sure the *upper left corner* is at < 1, 0>, not
the internal image coordinates < 0, 0>. I highly doubt anybody thinks in
terms of these "image space" coordinates when writing a function. The
upper left corner is at < 1, 0>, there is no obvious reason for that to
suddenly be treated as < 0, 0>, and for the y coordinate to be negated.
It is also an annoying inconsistency when using a function both directly
and as a function image. When no special warping or mapping is done, the
function image should have the same orientaion as the function.

I can only see this causing confusion and frustration, no matter how
well documented it is.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/