POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Iso-waves (53KB) : Re: Iso-waves (53KB) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 16:16:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Iso-waves (53KB)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 13 Nov 2000 21:05:48
Message: <chrishuff-6ED144.21060013112000@news.povray.org>
In article <3A109729.E781EC86@online.no>, Tor Olav Kristensen
<tor### [at] onlineno> wrote:

> And I'm afraid that your bent cylinders will suffer
> from the same flattening as mine when they are not
> "moving" in the y-direction.
> I.e.:
> Their cross-section becomes oval, not circular.

Ok, you didn't say that was the problem...this method acts like
displacement mapping, it pushes the surface around without caring about
the overall shape. You want something that acts like a sphere_sweep...
and I think you will have to use a sphere_sweep to get it.

> I haven't explored warping yet,
> but it seems fun.

It will give the same results as the above, but the displace warp has
another type that might be useful to you.

> Just a little question at the end:
> Will expressions like this
> 1 - sqrt(sqr(x) + sqr(z)
> evaluate faster than these
> $ SphereFunction = function { "sphere" <0> }
> 1 - Spherefunction (x, 0, z)
> ?

I don't know which is faster, but the first syntax will continue to work
in POV 3.5 with little or no modification, but the second("sphere" <0>)
syntax will be discontinued. And the first one is easier to modify.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><