POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : smooth height_fields : Re: smooth height_fields Server Time
16 Aug 2024 14:27:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: smooth height_fields
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 3 Mar 2002 14:04:28
Message: <chrishuff-6EB994.14043003032002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c8260ea$1@news.povray.org>, "Shay" <shi### [at] houstonrrcom>
wrote:

> I'm not sure how PoV does it, but it sure runs a lot faster than my
> smoothing algorithms. I think that the new height-field macros in shapes.inc
> 3.5 use a smoothing algorithm more like the one you used. Haven't tried them
> yet, though. Anyway, they will write out the vertices so you can do whatever
> you like with them.

The macros don't do any sort of normal averaging at all. The method I
used is actually closer to that used for normal perturbation in
textures, the  macros sample the function used to generate the height
field to determine the normal. This might apply to image-based height
fields as well, if interpolation is used, but I haven't tested it.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/