POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : About Intersection points : Re: About Intersection points Server Time
6 Oct 2024 15:23:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: About Intersection points
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 8 Nov 2002 22:01:54
Message: <chrishuff-6D3036.22014508112002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3dcc6dd1$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Wu Yang" <wya### [at] cswrightedu> wrote:

> What I want is all the intersection points hitted firstly by the ray, not
> just those with the mesh object.

By which rays? Every single intersection test ever made by the tracer
while rendering, or just the ones from the camera?

> The reason I found it in mesh.cpp is that the object I designed is
> only made up by mesh object. Yes, Trace() function is called to
> compute the color seen along the ray, but there is a variable called
> Best_Intersection and I think this variable is the intersection point
> I want.

It is the nearest intersection Trace() finds. However, because Trace()
is used to compute the color, there will be intersection tests that do
not reach your code, because they don't call Trace(). I think Trace() is
only used for the primary camera rays, reflected rays, and refracted
rays, not for the trace() language function, shadow rays, or anything
else that needs to trace a ray but doesn't need to compute the color
seen along it. I don't know what you want to do with the data, so I
can't make any better suggestions. If you would just tell us what you
are doing, you would get much better help.

> I really appreciate for all of your replies, your replies are very very
> helpful to me. Maybe sometimes I can not express my question very clearly
> and make you feel a little boring. Sorry about that. I will try my best to
> make my question more clearly. Thanks a lot.

Boring isn't the right term, "frustrating" is better. Trying to figure
out what you want from vaguely worded questions and trying to understand
why you are modifying these odd places in the code, especially when you
ignore repeated questions about what you are trying to do.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/