POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Normals in Pov : Re: Normals in Pov Server Time
5 Sep 2024 14:22:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Normals in Pov
From: Chris Huff
Date: 18 Jul 2000 11:12:45
Message: <chrishuff-6D2AB9.10131618072000@news.povray.org>
In article <3974264c@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

> John VanSickle <van### [at] erolscom> wrote:
> : For flat triangles the normal is derived from a cross-product of two
> : of the edge vectors (I presume) and therefore depends on the order the
> : vertices are defined.
>
>   I think it doesn't matter which side the normal is pointing to (as in
> any other surface in povray). This specially doesn't matter with
> triangles since they do not have interior.

John VanSickle is right, the normal is derived using the cross-product
of the edge vectors.(or something like that) The "up" side of the
triangle is determined by the order of the vertices.
For lighting calculations, the normal is always flipped so it points to
the side the intersecting ray came from, so you don't notice a
difference. However, the real normal does matter if you are using
MegaPOV and interior_texture. I am not aware of any other places where
it matters...

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/