POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : complicated functions : Re: complicated functions Server Time
2 Sep 2024 02:19:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: complicated functions
From: Chris Huff
Date: 13 Nov 2000 16:32:47
Message: <chrishuff-6D1DD2.16325813112000@news.povray.org>
In article <3A0F8C00.5FC694EB@hotmail.com>, Pabs <pab### [at] hotmailcom>
wrote:

> I agree with all that but what if you need a pattern that cannot be
> generated by a mathematical formula but by an algorithmn of some sort. -
> s'pose you would just have to recompile the src with your pattern built
> in.

I think it would be a good idea to have things like loops, a "real" if
statement, etc. available in functions. I don't think it would
noticeably slow things down in functions that don't use these features,
but could expand the pattern possibilities even more. And if the ability
to use functions in the scene file is added, you could move some of the
math-intensive calculations into functions for a small parsing speed up.
This would only work for floating-point or integer numbers, no objects,
colors, or vectors...but it would still be useful.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><