POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Function problems in MegaPov : Re: Function problems in MegaPov Server Time
1 Sep 2024 22:15:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Function problems in MegaPov
From: Chris Huff
Date: 10 Sep 2000 13:34:34
Message: <chrishuff-6CF216.12362310092000@news.povray.org>
In article <39bbc012$1@news.povray.org>, "Greg M. Johnson"
<"gregj;-)56590\""@aol.c;-)om> wrote:

> A) NOISE3D DISALLOWS APPROPRIATE NUMBER OF PARAMETERS
>
> First of all, the following line gives a message.
>     #declare summy=summy+noise3d(minx,miny,minz);
> whereas this one does not:
>     #declare summy=summy+noise3d(minx);
>
> Noise3d is a function defined over 3d space; it appears to be an
> oversight not to allow three parameters in this function.

It takes a vector. :-)
#declare summy = summy + noise3d(<minx,miny,minz>);
I chose this because all other POV functions that take points take them
as vectors, isosurface functions are the exception because they don't
have vectors.

> B) FUNC_ID NOT LIKED IN EXPRESSIONS.
> It appears to be an oversight that I can insert these into an isosurface
> but I cannot "use" these functions as is.

Not an oversight, just not a feature. The isosurface functions were
originally not intended to be used outside of isosurfaces, they weren't
made more general until later. I am planning to attempt to implement
this though...
In the meantime, you can access them using eval_pattern().

--
Christopher James Huff

<><