POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Animation system?? : Re: Animation system?? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 06:15:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animation system??
From: Chris Huff
Date: 28 Jul 2000 10:57:54
Message: <chrishuff-6C8C65.09583828072000@news.povray.org>
In article <3980AFE1.CA635727@videotron.ca>, pk <thi### [at] videotronca>
wrote:

Well, I guess you have already gotten enough information on Vahur
Krouverk's shader patch...

> Do you guys think we could sort of extend the particule systems to use
> real objects defined in pov's syntax

What exactly do you mean?
If you are talking about my particle_system patch, you *can* use any POV
object with it. You could even have the camera follow a particle.

> (or maybe somthing like the lights: a big particule that more or less
> looks like the real object, and the object to draw on top of the
> position?)

Now this is really confusing...nothing like that is done anywhere in
POV...or do you mean something like the looks_like keyword, which places
an object at the position of the light_source?
My original patch had something like that(custom_particle), but it was
replaced with a get_particle function which is much more versatile. It
just gives you the particle information, and allows you to do anything
you want with it.

> This would be interesting to help animations, and also would be better
> if you could add some predefined behaviors(like, follow sokine at start,
> and only then start using the animation system)

Are you talking about some kind of kinetics simulation system? So, for
example, you could drop a pair of boxes on a plane and have them bounce
to a resting position, like a pair of dice? And maybe have linked
structures with inverse kinematics calculation?
It might be possible to add this sort of thing, maybe as a
kinetic_system object which could hold particle_systems, cloths,
strings, gels, and solid objects. The biggest problem, one which I have
run into with my particle_system patch, is describing motion. I may have
to resort to splines, but I would rather figure out some way of
re-parsing an ordinary transformation which uses the clock value, like
everything else in POV.

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/