POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Diffuse==0 on edges of step functions in isosurfaces : Re: Diffuse==0 on edges of step functions in isosurfaces Server Time
1 Sep 2024 22:16:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Diffuse==0 on edges of step functions in isosurfaces
From: Chris Huff
Date: 21 Sep 2000 17:34:45
Message: <chrishuff-688F58.16365021092000@news.povray.org>

<Jer### [at] enstfr> wrote:

> Yes, that's it. I think that "normal off" is less accurate precisely
> because it relies on a sampling method. OTOH it works in all cases
> whereas "normal on" requires more definitions (in POV's source code,
> not in your file) that don't exist for all functions (and maybe can't
> exist for some) and therefore is less general.

But what about the speed? "normal on" is slightly *slower* than the
original method...and I don't think tracing 3 jittered isosurface rays
would be very fast.
I had the impression the original method used several (7?) samples of
the function to determine the normal(sort of like the way MegaPOV
calculates the normals for patterns, and the way my displace warp
works). Sampling the *difference in density* in each direction from the
point, which is much faster than tracing rays.
I could be completely wrong though...I haven't even looked at this code.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><