POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Smoke Trail (60kbbu) : Re: Smoke Trail (60kbbu) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 09:29:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smoke Trail (60kbbu)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 24 Feb 2001 09:06:17
Message: <chrishuff-681B5F.09052424022001@news.povray.org>
In article <3a97b94c@news.povray.org>, "Rune" <run### [at] inamecom>
wrote:

> Chris Huff, although I've read the particle_system patch
> documentation, you still know it much better than me. Could you tell
> me which of the features mentioned above are also possible with the
> particle_system patch?

All of them (sort of). In the current patch, you would have to do some
of it yourself, running the particle system for short intervals of time
and updating the position of the particle emitter between them, but this
will probably lead to artifacts from the emitter jerkily moving from
place (aliasing, like those "puffs" of smoke from your rocket), and will
be slowed down by the processing overhead of POV Script.
I'll be working on a dynamic_transform or transform_spline that will
interpolate between transformations, allowing things like emitters and
objects to move while the particle system runs. Hopefully, it will also
be useful for ordinary animations...
The age of each particle is available, so you could do your own
particles using that information. (the time of birth, of course, is just
current_time-particle_age)

--
Christopher James Huff

<><