POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Noise3d and Megapov 0.5 : Re: Noise3d and Megapov 0.5 Server Time
2 Oct 2024 10:18:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Noise3d and Megapov 0.5
From: Chris Huff
Date: 29 Jun 2000 11:30:44
Message: <chrishuff-66E8D2.10304829062000@news.povray.org>
In article <395b6115@news.povray.org>, "Philippe Debar"
<phi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> I perceive the mathematical correctness you refer to, but in this
> case that has nothing to do with what you do with the pattern. The
> way I see things, there is no "correct" way to behave for
> patterns/functions...

Well, the problem with the old noise3d() and bozo was that it was that
the plateaus were limiting their usefulness in isosurfaces, height
fields, normals, etc.

> ...is bumps a standard keyword/function with a excepted and well
> defined behaviour in the cg world? If so, it would be better if the
> bumps keyword was reserved for that behaviour.

"bumps" isn't standard, but this type of noise is a commonly used
feature.
However, it isn't a standard. As far as I know, the only requirement is
that it is a pseudo-random smoothly changing function which is
relatively uniform at large scales.

> ...I do not know how one could easily use Megapov's corrected bumps
> to make a pov's bumps or a Jerome's bumps.

Just extend the colors at each end of the color_map(compressing the
other values toward the center), so there is an area of flat color at
each end, and you will end up with plateaus just like the official
version's. Making it more like Jerome's would be a bit more work, but I
think it could be done easily as a waveform or isosurface function.

> Many things are rehashed forever, and people do not seem to bore (I
> speak of people as a whole, not of particular individuals). (Things
> like art, death, beauty, moral, gun control, God(s), MSWindows vs.
> Linux, bumps, ...)

You forgot MSWindows vs. Macintosh. And the meaning of the answer to the
Ultimate Question. :-)

> My own <repetition> I still think that Pov could use some syntax
> rewritings </repetition>.

You are not alone...I would prefer a completely different way of
layering textures, and a slightly different syntax for
patterns...#for(;;) loops, #set, etc would also be nice.

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/