POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Polygons in a 3D plane? : Re: Polygons in a 3D plane? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 10:32:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Polygons in a 3D plane?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 11 Mar 2001 20:10:04
Message: <chrishuff-668023.20061811032001@news.povray.org>
In article <3aac18cb@news.povray.org>, "Spock" <spo### [at] nospamcom>
wrote:

> Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the triangle and the plane are the
> only 2D shapes that can be rendered by POV, regardless of orientation.

You're wrong...the 2D surfaces POV supports are triangles (including
smooth_triangles), discs, and polygons. It also has bicubic_patches, but
even though they are infinitely thin, they are curved in 3 dimensions,
not restricted to a 2D plane.
Plane objects are not 2D, but infinite 3D surfaces. They divide the
"universe" into 2 halves, one is "inside" the plane.

> Perhaps you could use CSG to hack interesting shapes out of a plane
> (I don't know if this is possible)...  but I think my brain would
> overload if I tried this in arbitrary 3-space.  Might be better to
> carve the plane while it is lying flat and then move it into place.

Not with CSG (unless you wanted a polygon with thickness), but you could
try using clipped_by to do it.

> In the specific example you describe I would build the pentagon out
> of triangles and encode everything in a macro to minimize the impact
> on my other code.  You might choose to pass the centre, normal, and
> radius to the macro to provide one-stop shopping.

This would probably be the easiest way to do it.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><