POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Some musings about Motion blur, per-object post-processing, and more : Re: Some musings about Motion blur, per-object post-processing, and more Server Time
1 Sep 2024 20:13:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some musings about Motion blur, per-object post-processing, and more
From: Chris Huff
Date: 10 Nov 2000 17:37:59
Message: <chrishuff-6620F9.17380610112000@news.povray.org>
In article <3a0a970e@news.povray.org>, "Zeger Knaepen"
<zeg### [at] studentkuleuvenacbe> wrote:

> That's how I used to do it: modelling the windows...  But that was
> way too slow!

Slow rendering, or slow modelling?

> Maybe, but what about more complex shapes?
> Example: let's say I'm trying to model the birth of a planet.  A
> planet with parts of it still hot and glowing, and parts of cold
> stone.  I would use a pattern so I can easily give the glowing parts
> a different texture.  With per-object post-processing, I really don't
> know how I should do this...

Use eval_pattern() or eval_pigment() to place spheres or some other
fast-redering shape(or glows, which won't even need a post_process
filter) at the right places? Use an isosurface as the target
object?(Probably too slow...)
Or just use media...

> But if it doesn't allow blending, I don't see why it would need more
> memory than per-object based PP...?

It would require a separate "post process map" for every filter
controlled by a pigment, for one thing. And by removing the ability to
blend between filters, you remove a most of the reason for having
pigment controlled filters in the first place!

> One extra bit per pixel:
> post-process this pixel or not.  Same as per-object PP.

Wrong. At bare minimum, it would require storing some sort of post
process filter ID, to specify *which* filter to run. Probably a pointer,
unless you want to limit the number of filters you can use. Much more
than "one extra bit".

--
Christopher James Huff

<><