POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : sphere_sweep speed : Re: sphere_sweep speed Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:17:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sphere_sweep speed
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 23 Feb 2002 10:05:42
Message: <chrishuff-65EB21.10053123022002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c7788f5@news.povray.org>, "Hugo" <hua### [at] post3teledk>
wrote:

> > (of course I know sphere sweeps are slow in nature).
>
> I wonder why spheresweeps exsist in POV at all.. I may sound negative, but
> these shapes can be achieved with cones and render much quicker! I know that
> extra memory is required, but then .... wouldn't it be possible to code an
> internal "repeating-cones" algoritm in POV ... actually a function that just
> repeats any shape, following a user defined path / formula, *without*
> storing all points in memory first. This would be useful in many cases.

As others have mentioned: memory. Take a curved sweep using enough
spheres and cones to be smooth, and now make a few copies...
I do think other rendering methods would be useful. Some kind of
adaptive subdivision into cones, tesselation, isosurface-type methods,
etc...
I think a lot of the problem is just bad bounding though. A sphere sweep
has a lot of empty space, a box doesn't work that well...some additional
way of rejecting rays that can't intersect would probably help. Maybe a
bounding sweep composed of cylinders or cones...

Followups to povray.programming.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/