POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : yet another mengersponge... : Re: yet another mengersponge... Server Time
19 Aug 2024 02:25:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: yet another mengersponge...
From: Chris Huff
Date: 10 Mar 2001 07:27:23
Message: <chrishuff-641476.07233610032001@news.povray.org>
In article <3AA8E44A.6218AF06@stress.uio.no>, Simen Kvaal
<sim### [at] stressuiono> wrote:

> Consider rendering a compact subset of R^3 (that is closed and
> bounded) which has zero volume but infinite surface area. Thus, it
> will require infinitely many recursion levels to trace one single ray
> accurately through it.

Of course, I meant an *approximation* of a Menger sponge...rendering a
real one would literally take forever, and probably not be that
interesting.

> And it would definetely not be transparent, or even semitransparent.
>
> Thus, better and better approximations would tend to a more and more
> opaque object which take longer and longer to render. I'd say; skip
> the transparency. :)

Um, with better approximations, the volume the ray passes through will
decrease, and the sponge will become more and more *transparent*. You
will get a fainter and fainter image of the sponge, until it is
invisible. But as I said above, I'm only interested in an approximation,
maybe 3-5 levels...a real sponge would be impossible.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><