POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MP 0.6-Parser is bored?? : Re: MP 0.6-Parser is bored?? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 18:17:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MP 0.6-Parser is bored??
From: Chris Huff
Date: 20 Dec 2000 11:47:11
Message: <chrishuff-60BF88.11481920122000@news.povray.org>
In article <3a40a08b@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   Why, when povray can calculate it itself?

Well, that was my whole point...

>   It can perfectly look and see that "hey, there are 400 items here.
> Well, let's make a table with 400 items". It wouldn't break any old
> scenes either and the syntax would keep completely unmodified.

The problem with spline-based objects(like lathe, prism, etc...) is that
you can't do it without modifying the syntax, because takes the number
of points as well as the points themselves, so if you simply eliminate
that value, no old scenes will work properly.
The obvious solution is to ignore the float value if it is there...but
what if that wasn't the count variable, but was a float that was
supposed to get promoted to the first point? The other solution is to
use a new syntax based on the version number, which is what I plan to do
if I ever attempt this as a patch.
Fixing blend maps was pretty easy, because all I had to do was replace
the error when the blend map got too big with code for resizing the
array of entries(Ok, I cleaned up the code a bit, too). Other areas with
this problem have syntax issues as well.

>   Ever heard of dynamic data containers?
>   For example the triangle mesh is one.

Yes, but it's been one from the beginning, and POV can't confuse a float
with a triangle, but it can confuse one with a vector.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><