POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Announce: SkyPOV 0.1 : Re: color definition (Re: Announce: SkyPOV 0.1) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:26:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: color definition (Re: Announce: SkyPOV 0.1)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 9 Nov 2000 21:33:35
Message: <chrishuff-608913.21334109112000@news.povray.org>

<jbe### [at] tapasmailnet> wrote:

> 	Maybe, but OTOH you don't need to specify a color where the object is
> fully transparent, so their patterns are related. I've never felt the
> need to specify transparency independently from color...

Simplest case: a multicolored transparent ball which is evenly
transparent and has a big color_map. You decide you want to change the
amount of transparency...you have to change every color in the
color_map. If you had it specified in a separate block, you would only
have to change one value. It would also make specifying transparence for
image_maps a lot easier.

It becomes an even better idea when you add blurred transparency, etc.
Other programs do it because they often use image maps that use the
alpha channel to define transparency...but does *tranparency* really
belong in a *color*? Especially in POV, where image maps are relatively
rarely used.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><