POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The form : Re: The form Server Time
1 Oct 2024 20:20:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The form
From: Chris Huff
Date: 25 Aug 2000 00:01:44
Message: <chrishuff-607186.23030924082000@news.povray.org>
In article <39a4ce9b@news.povray.org>, "GrimDude"
<vos### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> Okay. You may have the time to work out a pattern to emulate Saturns
> appearance, but I'd use a NASA image. ;) j/k, but really...
>
> In the case of working something like Saturn out, I probably would
> not have Saturn as the primary object (and using an image map). If, I
> did, I would *have* to use procedural techniques, else sacrifice
> control of the scene.
> Relying on a NASA atmospheric/time lapse image series, for instance,
> would not work on a close up, or nap-of-the-surface flyby.

Saturn itself does not look difficult to texture procedurally...the
rings would be more of a challenge, but still a simple problem if done
with procedural textures. It might be more difficult to get an image_map
right. :-)
Now, a planet like Earth, with oceans, continents, ice caps, and many
different weather formations, would be very difficult to do
procedurally. I still would avoid directly using image_maps though...I
would try the pigment pattern using a grayscale image to map different
procedural textures to different areas.

> On my P-51D, I used image maps for the insignia, but they were
> created within Pov (separate sources).

That sounds like a good way to do things...

> I *did* post process a lot of them, in order to limit color counts (I
> prefer 2-16 color images), specify transparency, etc. There is
> probably a way to use Pov to do even that! :)

Why do you prefer such low color depths?

--
Christopher James Huff

<><