POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How do you work? : Re: How do you work? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 20:21:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How do you work?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 20 Aug 2000 19:42:18
Message: <chrishuff-5F8533.18433720082000@news.povray.org>
In article <39a01203@news.povray.org>, "Wolf Manos"
<wol### [at] to_much_spamcom> wrote:

> is the standard/common user (does there exist something like that in the
> first place?) using povray stand-alone or does he use modelling software
> (i.e. Moray)?

I think the average user hand codes and occasionally uses a modeller,
but does not depend on the modeller. I always hand code. There are
people who do everything from within one modeller, Moray for instance.
Others use a combination of different modellers and put it all together
by hand.

> if using Moray: Can you(do you) use it to create the 90% scene and then
> taylor the last 10% in your own script ??

Some people use modellers like Moray to do specific objects, and do the
actual scene by hand by assembling the pieces. I find it difficult to
work on a scene using a modeller, simply positioning the objects is more
difficult.

> do you use a painting/drawing to start out a scene ?

I usually just start from an idea in my head...I have tried graph paper,
but found it easier to code directly.

> in short: Tell me your best practices how to create a cool scene !!

It really depends on your skills and the scene. I find it easier to
visualize the relevant pieces and type in the values manually than to
navigate through a group of views and moving things with the mouse. This
would probably be different if we had a VR modeller where you could
interact directly with the scene objects and see the whole scene,
instead of goofing around using a 2D pointer device for 3D operations.
It would probably also change for many things if I had a lot of
experience with a good modeller, but I am used to scripting things.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><