POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Why can't patterns be declared ? : Re: Why can't patterns be declared ? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 16:15:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why can't patterns be declared ?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 2 Mar 2001 20:02:04
Message: <chrishuff-5CABFF.20002302032001@news.povray.org>
In article <3aa0280c$1@news.povray.org>, "Thorsten Froehlich"
<tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

> Possible, but do you really want to do so if it is all going to be
> trashed in case of a rewrite?  The texture code side effects are really
> one of the biggest messes you can find in the current code base :-(

I think it could be done without too much trouble or code, just parse
the pattern into a variable and implement a case in Parse_Pattern to
handle pattern identifiers that would just copy the needed data. I don't
see anything in the code that will prevent this being tacked on...but if
this is going to be in 3.5, or even if the relevant code will be cleaned
up, there isn't much of a reason to mess with it now. Especially when
the only version it would ever be included in is MegaPOVPlus, wouldn't
be used by anyone, and there are workarounds in the current version...

--
Christopher James Huff

<><