POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPOV Plus ipf_profile problem : Re: MegaPOV Plus ipf_profile problem Server Time
2 Sep 2024 08:15:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPOV Plus ipf_profile problem
From: Chris Huff
Date: 18 Jul 2000 11:42:34
Message: <chrishuff-5C943C.10430318072000@news.povray.org>
In article <397### [at] peakeduee>, Margus Ramst
<mar### [at] peakeduee> wrote:

> Strange, it sometimes happens without running ipf previously
> (although that seems to be a sure-fire way). Haven't found the
> connection yet.

It still sounds like an uninitialized variable or a dangling pointer.

> I see. Actually, I think this is sufficient in most cases, especially
> with liquids.

Inter-particle collisions would probably just interfere with liquid-like
behavior.

> As for the "solid" particles - I don't think inter-particle collision
> and deflection would be at all expensive for spherical particles, and
> prohibitively expensive for most other shapes.

Actually, the only way I can think of doing it would also work for
arbitrary shaped objects(like meshes), but would be computationally
expensive for all of them. I suppose the cheapest one would be a
triangle, followed by triangle pairs, other simple, non-solid shapes,
and boxes. Spheres would definitely not be the cheapest.
I definitely need to learn more about rigid body dynamics before I try
this.

> What physical properties would be needed? Collision is easy,
> deflection and impact energy absorption too, friction I'm not so sure
> about... What else?

Impact energy absorption already exists, as elasticity. Friction
coefficient, shatter speed, geometry, etc. Internally, center of
gravity, angular velocity, a bounding box...

> BTW, I found an interesting page discussing sorting algorithms for
> particle systems (specifically kd-trees and Barnes-Hut trees). I saw
> no actual code, but pretty informative nevertheless. The URL is:
> http://physics.gmu.edu/~large/lr_forces/lr_general.html

Thanks, I will take a look...

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/