POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Enhanced photons : Re: Enhanced photons Server Time
19 Aug 2024 22:12:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Enhanced photons
From: Chris Huff
Date: 7 Oct 2000 14:43:58
Message: <chrishuff-5C3858.13462707102000@news.povray.org>
In article <39DF469B.BA9559C2@usb.ve>, jac### [at] usbve wrote:

>   The left image is the normal render you get with one light source.
>   In my opinion, the dark shadows cast by the glass are to dark.  I
>   have observed this kind of refractive caustics in some experiments
>   I have done with real glasses and lights, so they are right from
>   the physical point of view as remarked by N. Kopp elsewhere in this
>   newsgroups.  In the other hand, the reflective caustics are to
>   bright.

Refraction affects *all* the light that passes through...there isn't any
light that passes straight through a lens without being bent. The areas
that have light refracted away will be completely dark, this is
physically correct.
However, in the real world, you usually don't have all the light coming
from a single source, but have light bouncing off of the surrounding
objects, walls, and coming from other light sources. Also, complex
shapes can refract light into areas that are mostly dark. Try putting
white walls around, and turning radiosity on. A dim light source at the
camera's position would help too, and you might try adding small
irregularities in the glass normal.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><