POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More wormhole activity in your area (WIP) : Re: More wormhole activity in your area (WIP) Server Time
16 Aug 2024 06:13:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More wormhole activity in your area (WIP)
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 13 Mar 2002 21:14:28
Message: <chrishuff-59CB7D.21140813032002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c8fff40@news.povray.org>,
 "Sir Charles W. Shults III" <aic### [at] cflrrcom> wrote:

>     Okay, I have added a few items, such as a sign, some conduits, etc.  I
> still have to do some obvious things, but life sometimes intrudes on the
> virtual world, sigh.  Of note is the fact that even at 1280x1024 resolution
> with AA on, this image renders in less than 8 minutes on my Pentium 1.2GHz
> machine.

The shadows look too sharp, like they are from light shining through the
wormhole instead of light from the wormhole. For something like this,
radiosity might be best. And maybe a media glow around the
electrodes/coils surrounding the wormhole.
That should also help take care of your rendering speed problem... ;-)

Also, the texturing looks kind of flat...I suggest using ambient 0 on
anything that isn't supposed to glow, and putting a fill light at the
camera position. This way, shadows are lit, but you still get shading.
And maybe some more dirt, but this looks like it might be a laboratory
clean-room environment.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/