POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Anomaly : Re: The Anomaly Server Time
19 Aug 2024 04:27:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Anomaly
From: Chris Huff
Date: 16 Jan 2001 16:59:55
Message: <chrishuff-54BBFF.17005716012001@news.povray.org>
In article <3A649985.779DA21D@209software.com>, bry### [at] 209softwarecom
wrote:

> 1. I was hoping that the media would be a lot brighter in the center
> and fall off to almost zero brightness at the outside.

Use a spherical density map in your media...something like:
density {spherical color_map {[0 rgb 1][1 rgb 0]}}
(scaled to fit, of course...)
And increase the light source brightness.

> 2. My spaceship looks like a cartoon because it's illumination is so
> even.  To me, it looks very un-photorealistic.

The problem is that you don't have any noticeable direct light on it,
and it is only being lit by ambient illumination...which means no
shading or shadows. Set the ambient to 0 on the body of the ship, and
either make sure there is a light shining on it or use radiosity. Also,
go try MegaPOV...it has features that make media and radiosity a lot
easier to work with.

BTW, the "ambient 1" finish in your media sphere declaration has no
effect because the texture is totally clear...

--
Christopher James Huff

<><