POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : New AA methods for POV-Ray : Re: New AA methods for POV-Ray Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:26:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New AA methods for POV-Ray
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 2 Apr 2002 10:11:12
Message: <chrishuff-54AE05.10121902042002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3ca8ce46@news.povray.org>, "Jan Walzer" <jan### [at] lzernet>
wrote:

> <theoretically>
> probably for an infinite number of samples/pixel (+some jitter) could
> remove moire ...
> </theoretically>

I don't think so. There will still be visible artifacts due to the fact
that pixels are square areas of color, even if each pixel is exactly the
color of the area under it. In my raytracer, I made an antialiasing
method that just made multiple passes over the image. After rendering
overnight, enough passes that the difference between the pixel color and
the "real" color was too small to represent on the monitor, there were
still visible moire artifacts. Sampling each pixel with a spherical
distribution instead of a flat square distribution helped some.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/