POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : pov 3.5 : Re: pov 3.5 Server Time
18 May 2024 04:13:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pov 3.5
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 15 Jul 2002 19:34:36
Message: <chrishuff-5312EE.18320615072002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <20020715222950264+0200@news.povray.org>,
 WhiteGandalf <zus### [at] liberoit> wrote:

> As for benchmarks, I ried to compile pov from the spources (from 3.1)
> under apple cc, I made several compiles using every possible combination
> of optimizations, the result was that megapov still was an edge faster (
> on skyvase). This is somehow strange, since pov from command line should
> be advantaged.

You forgot to take the compiler into account...the version of gcc in the
development tools is nowhere near as good at optimization as Metrowerks
CodeWarrior (which is used for the official version). The next update of
the development tools will use a more up to date version of gcc which is
apparently much better at optimization of PPC code, I don't know how it
compares to CodeWarrior. If you want to compare 3.1 and MegaPOV, compile
MegaPOV with gcc as well.

And anyway, being a GUI program won't really affect the render
speed...you probably ran the command line version from Terminal.app,
which (obviously) is a GUI program itself. The only way there could be a
significant difference is if you booted up without any GUI at all, which
I don't consider worth the few % of CPU time gained. Just being a CLI
program doesn't give any special advantages.

There may be something specific to how POV-Ray Mac works though...maybe
the way it handles events uses up CPU time or prevents it from using
100% of available cycles.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/