POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Shelf Scene : Re: Shelf Scene Server Time
19 Aug 2024 02:25:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shelf Scene
From: Chris Huff
Date: 28 Jan 2001 22:17:47
Message: <chrishuff-518590.22182528012001@news.povray.org>
In article <3A74CD57.E1A655F2@spiritone.com>, Joshua English
<eng### [at] spiritonecom> wrote:

> This is part of a larger scene I'm working on. The candle has an
> emitting media and an absorption value of 5, but it's still barley
> visible. I also have an area light attached to the candle, and I hope
> that scaling and translating it hasn't done too much damage to it.
>
> I want to do more with the cross, but I'm not sure what I can do with
> it. The plank is from the ISO wood include file. The book is is simple
> csg with image maps, and the paper is a bicubic patch with uv mapping.
>
> Any comments/suggestions?

The perspective on the cross seems really strange...is it supposed to be
resting on the square of wood at the bottom and leaning against the rock
(?) wall? Try either making it stand straight or lean at less of an
angle.
The scale of everything seems off...the book seems to be about 2 inches
wide, but looks like it's meant to be a large, hard bound book. The wood
square at the bottom looks like it's no more than 6 inches square, and
the cross looks like it's made of toothpicks. I'd suggest you use a
smaller scaled wood and increase the size of the book relative to the
paper. Maybe make the table out of several planks, it looks like it is
supposed to be roughly built.
The candle flame...sometimes you need really high density values,
depending on the scale of your scene. Try tripling the emission and
doubling the absorption.

And finally, the combination of straight and rough edges on the rock
wall seems odd, and my eyes can't find the line where the wall meets the
floor. And it looks like you have a high ambient on everything, making
the scene appear washed out and lacking depth...try using ambient 0 on
everything and use radiosity or a fill light at the camera location and
about rgb 0.2-rgb 0.35 brightness. And the area light causes visible
lines, maybe use a jitter value there.

Uh, well, that's all I can think of. Enough? ;-)

BTW, the light colored rock looks great, and the paper is perfect...

--
Christopher James Huff

<><