POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Kitchen Visualization Problem : Re: Kitchen Visualization Problem Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:18:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kitchen Visualization Problem
From: Chris Huff
Date: 16 Aug 2000 11:52:31
Message: <chrishuff-4EAD1F.10534516082000@news.povray.org>
In article <399aa57a@news.povray.org>, "D.J. Brown"
<ext### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> I tried rendering my kitchen visualization with some really neat-o
> radiosity settings, but all my bump maps got completely washed out.

This is because by default radiosity ignores perturbations to the object
normal. In MegaPOV, you can tell it to take normal patterns into
account(including bump_maps): just add "normal on" to the radiosity {}
block in global_settings.

> Is there a way in POV-Ray or MegaPov to use my map to modify the
> actual geometry and not just the normals?

Not directly, you would have to make a function representing your object
an use an isosurface.

> Height-fields would do it, I suppose, but I like the repeating
> pattern of bump-maps. I was reading something about isosurfaces and
> bump-maps in earlier threads, but I don't know how isosurfaces work;
> anyone know a good explanation or tutorial?

There are a couple isosurface tutorials:
http://www.hamiltonite.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
        raytracing/STBenge/stbenge.html

http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/

--