POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Object oriented POV scene language? : Re: Object oriented POV scene language? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:34:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Object oriented POV scene language?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 23 Jul 2000 22:38:25
Message: <chrishuff-4E9905.21390423072000@news.povray.org>
In article <3975DC6C.3C023FF2@itam.cas.cz>, Disnel <dis### [at] itamcascz>
wrote:

> 2) No one talked about virtual methods, although its big advantage, I
> think.

I don't think they would apply to POV-Script...their main use is when
referring to objects by pointers, and POV-Script doesn't have pointers.
I think that *all* methods would behave "virtual", separate bindings
would be useless in POV-Script.

> This is true when you don't allow changing objects after they have been
> parsed, but I think, that can be one great advantage, mainly in
> persistent animations.

I don't see what you mean...why would changing the object be a problem?
If you mean adding members to an existing variable, then don't do that!
It would be like trying to add variables and methods to a C++ class.
Just make a new object from that one, which has the additional members
you need.
If you mean modifying an object which has been placed in the scene, and
isn't a variable, then (again) don't do that! Modify the object, and
*then* put it in the scene. This will work with persistent variables
just fine...

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/