POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : slope-dependent pattern : Re: slope-dependent pattern Server Time
1 Sep 2024 18:14:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: slope-dependent pattern
From: Chris Huff
Date: 5 Jan 2001 17:18:16
Message: <chrishuff-4CD772.17194905012001@news.povray.org>
In article <3A558D6B.61C493BF@gmx.de>, Christoph Hormann
<chr### [at] gmxde> wrote:

> Something different: i often like to have a slope pattern not for objects
> but for patterns themselves or pigments, like:
...snip...
> This would be quite useful for isosurface functions for example.  I have
> no idea right now if that's easy to implement, just an idea.

Are you thinking of something for the gradient of a pattern? A pattern
that would return higher values in areas that change rapidly, but
approach 0 in "flat" areas? The displace warp can do something similar,
the code could probably be modified to do this pattern(maybe a more
general pattern that calculates the "amount of warping" for any warp).
Actually, you could probably do it with an isosurface function...I don't
know how useful it would be in isosurfaces, though.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><