POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Solar Sail : Re: Solar Sail Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:22:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Solar Sail
From: Chris Huff
Date: 4 Sep 2000 15:36:14
Message: <chrishuff-4A516C.14375504092000@news.povray.org>
In article <39B3DBF0.17181376@istar.ca>, sde### [at] istarca wrote:

> Is it the total size that important, or the hull:sail ratio?

I think it is neither of those, but sail:mass ratio. You need a lot of
sail to accelerate a kilo of mass at a reasonable speed. This might be
useful for computer-controlled shipments between the inner planets,
Mercury and Venus, possibly Earth, where it doesn't matter if it takes
several years to travel, and cost is the primary problem. For the
planets further out, I doubt it would be useful even for those uses.
Besides, ships in the outer planets region have plenty of hydrogen fuel
for fusion drives available...just make a close pass to Jupiter or
Titan, and scoop up some of the atmosphere on your way by.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><