POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Can someone patch POV so that you can output an isosurface as a wire frame? : Re: Can someone patch POV so that you can output an isosurface as a wire fr= Server Time
6 Oct 2024 23:21:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can someone patch POV so that you can output an isosurface as a wire fr=
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 8 Nov 2002 22:29:32
Message: <chrishuff-473124.22292408112002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3dcc3148@news.povray.org>, Simon Adameit <gom### [at] gmxde>
wrote:

> Do you consider this to be some kind of volumetric rendering?
>
> http://www.graphics.stanford.edu/~henrik/papers/psp/

Interesting...somewhat like a blob or isosurface, but not. No more
foolproof than converting to a mesh, and probably prone to other errors,
but probably useful for data from real world objects. It has
restrictions that seem to make the kind of point data being discussed
here useless. It needs a lot of points, and probably doesn't do well
with thin areas (where the thickness of the object is close to or lower
than the distance between points on the same "side", so the nearest
point can be on the opposite side of the object). The paper says it is
for extremely high resolution models, especially where triangles are
smaller than pixels, and a mesh doesn't give any real benefit.

It isn't what I meant by volumetric rendering, but it does require
sampling a volume...it seems to do "ray marching", stepping along the
ray until point density goes above a threshold, then using the points
within a certain distance of that location (though the abstract says
within a distance to the ray, which doesn't seem to make sense) to
figure out an approximation of the real distance.

That is a very interesting paper, I'm going to have a try at
implementing that object...need to get some papers of my own written
first, though. Homework...bleh.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/