POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Post processing : Re: Post processing Server Time
2 Sep 2024 00:12:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Post processing
From: Chris Huff
Date: 9 Sep 2000 09:19:01
Message: <chrishuff-471B84.08204909092000@news.povray.org>
In article <39B### [at] ijnet>, Matt Giwer <jul### [at] ijnet> wrote:

> 	I have no idea what MegaPovPlus is up to and perhaps someone could
> enlighten me.
>
> 	In linux Gimp can do it better. In Windows Adobe has a free picture
> editor that is essentially everything of PhotoShop save the things
> needed for printing which does it better.
>
> 	I have not dug into post processing but if it does not stand alone then
> what use is it?

It's main advantage is automation, you can define a set of filters to be
applied and have it automatically done when the render is finished. For
example, you could have a logo automatically added by just adding a
couple lines. If you want a higher resolution image, you can just render
it at a higher resolution, and don't have to go through and re-process
the image.
It also has information that other programs can't get, so there are some
filters which would be impossible to make as a stand-alone program, the
focal blur, depth, and normal filters for example. In future versions,
you will be able to have per-object filters. Also, it has access to the
full-precision color values, while other programs can only access the
values after being clipped to a 0-1 range and usually reduced to 8 bits
per component.
And finally, many post_process filters can be controlled by pigments,
which would be much more difficult to do in an external program(you
would have to render an image of the pigment separately).

--
Christopher James Huff

<><