POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : ibatch for *.ttf font with beveld edges? : Re: ibatch for *.ttf font with beveld edges? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 02:17:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ibatch for *.ttf font with beveld edges?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 20 Nov 2000 17:34:57
Message: <chrishuff-462B94.17351920112000@news.povray.org>
In article <3A193B04.66305B6B@schunter.etc.tu-bs.de>,
chr### [at] gmxde wrote:

> BTW, you could do a rounded text object with proximity pattern and an
> isosurface (very slow),

Extremely slow...

> Otherwise i could think of non uniform scaling of the curve depending
> on it's curvature (i don't really know if that makes sense, just an
> intuitive idea)

Creating another spline by pushing the control points "inward" might
work for most cases...which leads to an interesting idea: the ability to
interpolate between shapes, having the points at one end of the prism be
different from the points at the other end. Probably extremely difficult
or impossible with the way things are done now...maybe it would be worth
it to allow the prism and text shapes to be reduced to triangle meshes.
This would allow rounding, bevelling, interpolating between splines, and
even things like extruding along a path. I'm not sure how this would be
worked into the current syntax...maybe just have the direct-calculation
method be unavailable when these advanced features are used, or maybe
add a completely new "extrusion" object.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><