POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Motion-blur for glows ??? - Icosaedron : Re: Motion-blur for glows ??? - Icosaedron Server Time
19 Aug 2024 10:19:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Motion-blur for glows ??? - Icosaedron
From: Chris Huff
Date: 8 Jan 2001 16:56:44
Message: <chrishuff-443CF1.16582208012001@news.povray.org>
In article <3a5a28fb$1@news.povray.org>, "Scott Hill"
<sco### [at] innocentcom> wrote:

>     How is what I described not an object attribute, and if that is how it
> works currently, where's the problem ? (Don't fix what ain't broke.)

Ok, this is how I plan on doing things: "glow {}" will become an
attribute of objects, like interior or texture, and will make the object
it is applied to glow. It will not make any other objects glow, and the
user will be able to override it's shape to something other than the
object it is applied to(*). When added to a CSG, it will make all
objects in that CSG glow, but when added to an object in a CSG, only
that object will glow.
The problem comes when you want to specify glows not attached to
objects...add one to a CSG, and your whole CSG will glow unless you
explicitly specify otherwise. So a "glow_object" or "glow_group" will be
useful...and could be an actual object, easing coding and reducing the
type of confusion with the current patch(glows are *not* objects). The
"glow_object" would simply be a glow separated from any object, and a
"glow_group" would be several glows wrapped in one object to save memory.

(*)This will be done at first using a proximity calculation optimized
for meshes, and the tesselation patch, which will allow any object to
have a glow applied. Specialized glow shapes will be added later as
needed.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><