POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How do I : Re: How do I Server Time
5 Sep 2024 14:16:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How do I
From: Chris Huff
Date: 29 Aug 2000 00:23:31
Message: <chrishuff-440C66.23250228082000@news.povray.org>
In article <39ab320d$1@news.povray.org>, "Wolfgang Manousek"
<wol### [at] to_much_spamcom> wrote:

> (3) This is the thing I actually tried: I created the wooden surface
> (the table top) and created the grid lines as boxes which are 'just a
> little bit' over the surface. This creates initially good results
> (with a nice 'solid' tabletop) and nice looking grid line, but if I
> increase camera distance to the table the lines get very 'spotty',
> probably because the minimum evaluation of the grid over the surface
> is just an appoximation, and rounding problems mess things up (my
> theory)

If you mean you get dots along the line instead of a solid line, that is
due to the fact that pixels are represented as points, not as squares.
This isn't exactly a precision problem, your details are just too small
to be represented at the resolution you are rendering at. You can use
anti-aliasing to smooth things out(it basically calculates several
samples over the area of each pixel), but your lines may disappear at
lower resolutions. Textures will have the same problem, it isn't due to
your using an object.

Either boxes or a layered texture should work, and it should be possible
to get a pigment_map in your texture that only applies the lines where
you want them. There are some features in MegaPOV that can make this a
lot easier, but it should be quite possible in ordinary POV.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><