POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Portal Pigment - Portal pigment.jpeg (1/1) : Re: Portal Pigment - Portal pigment.jpeg (1/1) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 02:19:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Portal Pigment - Portal pigment.jpeg (1/1)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 22 Jan 2001 06:01:03
Message: <chrishuff-3DE84C.06021022012001@news.povray.org>
In article <3a6bf3cf$1@news.povray.org>, "Bob H."
<per### [at] aolcom?subject=PoV-News:%20&body=Relating%20to%20POV-Ra
y:> wrote:

> I see now what you meant before.  The portal gets applied in a way
> just as pigments get applied so that even though it's a copied and
> pasted portion of the original scene it's not exactly a re-raytraced
> portion.

Um, no...there is no copy/pasting of scene code. It just moves rays to
another portion of the same scene.

> That is, it's essentially a 2D representation placed based on where
> the portal view is and where it exists. Guess I'm getting closer to
> the idea there.  Perhaps.

Rays hit the object, and new rays coming from the intersection points
are transformed using the transformations that have been applied since
the pigment was applied to the object. The color resulting from tracing
those rays is used as the pigment color.
Think of it as a "ghost object" that is left behind at the position of
the object when the portal pigment is applied...no matter where the
portal object is moved, rays hitting it will emerge from that ghost
object.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><