POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : A thought for 4.0 : Re: Does the world need another "weird limited scripting language" ? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:35:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Does the world need another "weird limited scripting language" ?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 20 Sep 2002 12:51:45
Message: <chrishuff-3C5818.12494420092002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3d8ae9eb@news.povray.org>,
 "Theo Gottwald *" <The### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:

> I just had the same discussion about "the world does not need one
> more scripting language" in another newsgroup. It was not about POV
> but about this:
> http://www.it-berater.org/tt-info.shtml
> (in german only - sorry). Its a scripting language specialized for doing
> desktop-automations.

I would say the answer will always be "yes". First, as you said,
different languages are better at different problems. But also, a new
language can try out wild ideas that would never be added to a
widely-used existing language. A given language may never get more than
10 users and never be used for any serious purpose, but if it works out
a concept that turns out to be useful in a more successful language, it
was a success. What would things be like if people never created a new
language if there was already one that was "good enough"?

Plus, I believe that the more languages you know, the more ways of
looking at problems you learn, the better you will be at programming.
The book "The Pragmatic Programmer" (which I don't own, but plan to get)
recommended learning at least one new language a year, to avoid getting
stuck in a single mindset.
http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/loty/

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg