POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : IMBJR Flood : Re: IMBJR Flood Server Time
20 Jul 2024 15:20:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IMBJR Flood
From: Chris Huff
Date: 26 Aug 2000 14:43:42
Message: <chrishuff-3C11DF.13451026082000@news.povray.org>
In article <39a7e32d@news.povray.org>, "IMBJR" <imb### [at] imbjrcom> wrote:

> This news server (news.povray.org) seems to have pretty deep pockets.
> I am currently downloading the entire contents of
> povray.binaries.images and I noted that the earliest post is from
> about July 1998. So even if I did release my material in staged
> intervals it would all still be available for download at some point,
> leaving the individual browser the option of downloading in staged
> intervals. Remember, no one is forcing you to download these images.

Actually, the server has limited space available...while most of the
groups do not automatically expire messages(povray.off-topic is an
exception), some of the older posts in a couple groups(including this
one) have had to be manually "expired" to free up space. They are
running out of room...
There are more details in the povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions
group, specifically the messages "Welcome To the POV-Ray News Groups"
and "News Server Acceptable Use Policy".

> Feedback is not required. It is up the individual whether or not to
> reply.

If you are not after comments on your work, what *do* you want?

> Again, no one is being forced.

Yes, but it will push older animations out...it might have been a better
idea to put the animations on a web page and post announcements to
povray.animations. Also, downloads are usually faster from web
pages...the encoding to place files in these groups increases the size.
The same goes for the povray.binaries.images group...it might have been
a better idea to put the high-quality images on a web page, and post
links with lower-resolution preview images. The subject has been
discussed in depth before, the consensus seems to be that images larger
than about 200-300K or large groups of images would be better on a web
page. I don't think anyone would mind a large animation, large files are
kind of expected in this group :-), but the same rule for large numbers
of posts still applies.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><