POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Portal Pigment - Portal pigment.jpeg (1/1) : Re: Portal Pigment - Portal pigment.jpeg (1/1) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 08:19:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Portal Pigment - Portal pigment.jpeg (1/1)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 22 Jan 2001 16:53:25
Message: <chrishuff-3B773E.16543222012001@news.povray.org>
In article <3A6C4C92.38C491C0@gmx.de>, Christoph Hormann
<chr### [at] gmxde> wrote:

> How about photons? does it work with them like reflection?

Photons should just behave as if it were any other pigment. Having
photons interact with it would probably require special handling in the
photon code, and I am not familiar enough with that code to add it. I
think it would have to create an invisible copy of the object at the far
end of the portal and use that to capture photons that will come out of
the portal.
So: it should be possible, though it wouldn't be like reflection, and I
have no idea how to add it and am focusing on the basic features of the
patch first. In priority, photons are right behind direct illumination
through the portal, something I will look at later but may never get
working (or may not get working before someone else does).

> Nice idea BTW, not only for the 'picture in a picture' scene but also for
> abstract stuff just like reflection, but with probably a lot less
> geometric limitations.

Someone mentioned it might be good for "cubist" scenes...maybe put a
bunch of randomly placed triangle portals in front of the camera.

> When are you planning to publish it?

Um...no idea. I'd like to get camera portals working first...and figure
out a way to explain how it works.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><