POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Re: Can the trace() function be used to generate a mesh from an isosurface? : Re: Can the trace() function be used to generate a mesh from an isosurface? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 13:35:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can the trace() function be used to generate a mesh from an isosurface?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 8 Nov 2002 12:10:27
Message: <chrishuff-33B5ED.12101808112002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3dcbd378@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   Actually the patch uses internally trace() to get the intersection points
> with the surface (or at least the patch which I made does). :)

Well, it uses the functions that the trace() POV-SDL function uses (the
intersection methods accessed through the Intersect() macro). The
Trace() function in the source code does something else, and there is no
trace(). I know you know this, I'm just clearing it up for others.

>   In fact, I first made the tesselation with pov-SDL with the exact same
> principles as the patch itself, but it was really, really slow, which was
> the reason I decided to make it as a patch.

Hmm, sounds interesting...did you ever release the POV version? It might
be useable on a more modern machine.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/